Are you a dynamic News Producer who wants to tell stories with integrity, live the principles of journalism, make our communities stronger and the world around us better? If so, come join us at WFTX in Fort Myers, FL, where Scripps is continuing to create the future of our industry with a focus on local community. We are looking for an experienced News Producer, someone who is ready to take their career to the next level and step into a leadership position in the newsroom.
We have hikers, rock climbers, mountain bikers, kayakers, runners, skiers, surfers, gamers, musicians, actors, swimmers and every other mixture of diversity you can think of – we are a community of welcoming, mission-focused and lively people that continue to grow as we grow our company and rise to our full potential in every aspect of our business.
OUR HIRING PROCESS:
- You are intrigued as you are already two paragraphs in and reading this job description.
- You let us know you are interested (apply, email, call, shout it from the rooftops).
- We call you and ask you to tell us more about yourself.
- You talk with more incredible team members.
- You meet the team in-person (and sometimes via Zoom or Facetime – technology is SO COOL these days).
- You tell everyone about your AH-mazing candidate experience and how thrilled you are to become a part of the Scripps team.
- Your friends jump on the bandwagon and join us too.
- Passion for the job.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related experience.
- 2+ years of experience as a television writer or producer.
- A local news junkie mentality: knowing news of the day; having vision and ability to advance the big story.
- Above all, you love to write … a word smith, grammar guru, courageous and creative storyteller.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Arrive at the station.
- Begin preparing for airtime – lead story, showcasing, multiplatform coverage, all the entertaining pieces.
- Collaborate with reporters, anchors, news managers, assignment editors and the digital team to determine content and multiplatform needs.
- Make the broadcast shine with graphics, video, research and station branding.
- Work alongside your amazing team to prep for a flawless show.
- Throw all the above out the window because breaking news just happened.
- Respond to and cover above-mentioned breaking news.
- Go home, get some rest and get ready to come back and have a totally different day tomorrow.
- We are growing our footprint, reaching nearly 31 percent of U.S. households as one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners.
- From community outreach to professional development, Scripps is a place where creativity has taken over and you will have the chance to write your own story.
- We enable and encourage each individual to do their best work and reach their full potential through opportunity, development and openness to new ideas.
- We are all about professional integrity. It is the cornerstone of a journalist’s credibility.
- Tell a friend and both of you can work here. Our employee referral program is pretty fantastic. Share this because we are ALWAYS looking for the BEST talent out there.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation’s fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.