Human Resources Generalist
Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida
WSFL, The E.W. Scripps television station for Miami-Fort Lauderdale, is seeking a Human Resources (HR) Generalist with a minimum of 2 years of progressive human resource generalist experience. This position will be based at our office in Plantation, Florida, and will provide daily HR support for station employees, including teams in news, sales, creative services, and engineering.
The Human Resources (HR) Generalist provides daily human resource consulting and support to assigned business unit(s) to ensure effective and compliant operation. In addition, HR Generalists facilitate the implementation of HR initiatives and projects in alignment with the business and HR strategy.
Business Acumen: Maintains local HR metrics. Provides assistance in monthly HR reporting.Customer Consulting: Has consultative conversations with key leaders, delivers tough feedback,
diagnoses issues and maintains a trusted advisor status.
Workforce Planning: Understands the local workforce planning strategy; partners with management and assists HR management with the execution of the workforce planning strategy at the local level.
Employee Engagement & Culture: Assists in shaping and executing employee engagement activities. Works with management to ensure communication and change strategies are executed.
Employee & Labor Relations: Acts as the first level HR contact for employee relations issues. May conduct investigations under the guidance of HR Management. If applicable, assists HR Management in overseeing labor relations at the location.
Compliance: Maintains appropriate employee records, ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, including EEO, FLSA, ERISA, ADA, FMLA, Workers Comp, and OSHA, as well as legal requirements as they relate to payroll, benefits, and administrative policy compliance. Generate FCC report drafts and review with Legal and HR Management in advance of posting deadlines.
Talent Acquisition: Responsible for some recruiting. This includes working with managers to obtain position approval, opening and managing requisitions. Possibly traveling for recruiting.
Talent Management: Executes local talent management processes. Understands and helps cultivate internal pipeline through a variety of processes, including:
- Performance Management: Assists with performance management training and process. Review performance forms and coach managers on performance management basics.
- Career Planning: As needed, assists with ensuring employees have the opportunity to
participate in the career planning process.
- Talent Review: May assist HR Management in planning and executing talent review
- Talent Development: May deliver or ensure delivery of training related to employee
engagement and development, performance management and employee relations.
HR Systems: May serve as an approver for Manager transactions in the HRIS system. Generates ad- hoc reports and data from the HRIS. Conducts new employee onboarding activities and initiates employee off-boarding activities. Ensures exit interview data is collected, analyzed and acted upon if needed.
Benefits: Partner with third-party providers to be a liaison with employees and managers regarding leaves of absence. Provides resource information to employees regarding Benefits, enrollment, wellness and other employer programs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIESEducation & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Management or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressive human resource generalist experience with an emphasis on employee relations and change management.
- SPHR or PHR preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Business Acumen: Understands how businesses make and spend money to drive results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills (written and verbal); ability to effectively
communicate and work with all levels of employees throughout the organization.
- Ability to recognize issues before they become serious and assist in determining the best method
- Ability to effectively present complex information through presentation or reports to employees
- Must be able to work effectively with service providers (e.g. health care and third-party providers).
- Ability to implement best practices in various HR disciplines.
- Please note that our station is located in Plantation, Florida.
- Typical office environment.
- In the event of a local hurricane, stay at the station with the rest of the staff to help support the
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation’s fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile and apply online, please visit www.scripps.com