ABC Action News stands with the hardworking people of Tampa Bay, helping them be more self-reliant. WFTS helps its viewers understand the causes, obstacles and solutions to their biggest problems. ABC Action News features include I-Team special reports, Taking Action Against Domestic Violence, Dirty Dining and Florida’s most accurate weather forecasts.
WFTS, the Scripps ABC station in Tampa is looking for an Executive Producer. We want someone to improve our product, grow the talents and skills of the people on our staff, and strengthen our ratings on television, and grow our audience on digital and social platforms at the same time.
We have an interactive set and lots of resources to work with our top notch team. You’ll also still get to find and tell great stories. We want candidates who already understands what works well on social media. The ideal candidate will bring leadership, energy and experience to the positon.
Scripps leaders are trained and developed to lead for the present, and groomed for future opportunities in the company.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS –
- Improve the quality of each of our newscasts. We need someone with a strong producing background who has a proven track record of thinking big picture. This person will implement best practices in production and content to grow our audience, especially those in targeted demographics.
- Coordinate content and presentation across all platforms (broadcast/digital/social).
- Supervise pre-production and live production to ensure quality and ethical standards and cooperation between production staff and editorial staff.
- Supervise the writing of content, including but not limited to stories, tease, headlines, digital copy and social posts.
- Manage schedules, overtime and performance for assigned direct reports, including but not limited to semi-annual reviews.
- Monitor real-time digital analytics to guide editorial and showcasing decision-making.
- Demonstration of editorial judgment. Knowledge of journalistic ethics and applicable laws.
- Develop other peoples’ skills and leadership. We need someone who can show they have history of growing others, especially producers.
- Listen, learn, assess challenges and opportunities, collaborate to find solutions, and implement change. You should have a healthy appetite for risk in trying something new.
- You must be good with multitasking and prioritization in order to meet deadlines.
- Even in an active newsroom, you should bring an easy-going, confident attitude to be able to fit in with and lead our team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication or related field preferred.
- 8-10 years journalism experience.
Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Ability to create tactics and strategies to increase demo performance in key target areas for multiple platforms.
- Have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Standard newsroom environment
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile & apply, please visit: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1060841&d=External