Director of Sales
Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida
E.W. Scripps, a premier media organization, seeks a Director of Sales to join our team at WSFL-TV in Miami-Fort Lauderdale.
The successful candidate will be responsible for creating a strategic vision in a highly competitive market and leading the entire sales team in executing that plan.
- Create and manage budgets and project for station revenue. Set and adjust station rates to meet goals.
- Manage the sale of advertising time to clients/agencies, involving local and national travel. Meet with clients and advertisers to maintain high visibility in the community.
- Create and manage non-traditional revenue and new business projects.
- Provide training, development and motivation of Local Sales Department to ensure success of
department goals and objectives.
- Provide training for the sales managers to include all aspects of local, national and general sales
- Effectively manage all personnel issues.
- Utilize and maximize airtime inventory and resources to achieve revenue goals. Evaluate items
and programs available to the station.
- Develop and implement new business plans, sales projects, and strategic plans for sales.
- Understand and interface with traffic system and personnel to efficiently manage airtime
inventory. Approve all orders.
- Interface with station’s national rep firm to set goals and objectives. Hold firm accountable for
the achievement of all expectations.
- Establish local market value and position of the station Know the strengths and weaknesses of
competing stations and mediums.
- Maintain integrity in all business dealings, with a focus on customer service.
- Work with General Manager and other department managers to accomplish the objectives of
- Perform other duties as needed and directed by General Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field or equivalent experience preferred
- 8+ years of progressive management responsibility in media and integrated sales
Skills & Abilities
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Effective in a variety of formal presentation settings both inside and outside the organization
- Proven and effective leadership skills; fosters open dialogue, empowers others, addresses
conflict quickly and directly
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- Normal office environment
- Some travel required
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and
liability coverage may be required.
- In the event of a local hurricane, stay at the station with the rest of the staff to help support the
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation’s fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.