|Job Title:||Assistant News Director|
|Location:||Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
Seeking: A strong news leader for a once-in-a-career opportunity: Design, build, and launch a major market news organization.
WSFL, the Scripps CW station in Miami/Fort Lauderdale, is looking for an experienced aggressive Assistant News Director who is a true Big “J” journalist to help lead our team in 2020. The right candidate will be someone who is willing to take creative innovative risks, and understands the value of deep impact enterprise content. We want a passionate fearless leader who can help teach and develop our talented group of journalists into strong emotional storytellers.
You must be excellent with breaking news, and guiding producers and reporters on the expectations of the day. We are looking for an individual that will be dedicated to uncovering and reporting the issues and stories important to the diverse community of the Miami area. You must be a digital powerhouse, leveraging the web, OTT, and all social platforms to make sure that local audiences are seeing, talking about and sharing stories generated by our newsroom. You must be a risk taker and someone ready to adapt, change and think out of the box. If this sounds like you, we would like for you to apply.
- Assist News Director with supervisory responsibility for all news broadcasts and online content including station website and OTT.
- Guide day-to-day editorial content including breaking news.
- Assist News Director in the hiring and performance management of direct reports.
- Review daily newscasts to ensure quality control and brand compliance.
- Inspire and coach superior, unique and engaged storytelling.
- Create tactics and strategies to increase demo performance in key target areas for multiple platforms.
- Execute the daily brand goals of the newsroom.
- Implement and have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations,
- Write copy and edit scripts for air and web.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to station websites.
- Work with News Director, Digital, Enterprise & Investigative leaders to execute superior coverage of major events, i.e. elections, sports, special events.
- Proactively communicate news initiatives across departments.
- Evaluate workflow efficiencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong news judgment, journalistic integrity and a passion for winning.
- A compassionate leader with the ability to galvanize a team to advance personal and station goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in newsroom management and proven track record of success.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills including attention to detail for accuracy and clarity.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
The E.W. Scripps Company(NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation’s fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile and apply online, please visit www.scripps.com