Tired of the cold and the snow? WFTX, the Scripps FOX Station in Fort Myers, Florida is searching for an aggressive and experienced AM Content Manager to help lead the station’s news team.
The AM Content Manager has overall responsibility for all newscasts during assigned shift, as well as general newsroom oversight during assigned daypart, when senior managers are not present. Oversight includes significant editorial judgement, story selection and showcasing on all platforms.
We seek someone with the vision and strategy to address consumer needs, content standards, delivery, quality control and continuous improvement. The right candidate will be someone who understands deep impact enterprise content and can help teach and develop our talented group of journalists into strong emotional storytellers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS –
- Manages newsroom content and showcasing across multiple platforms, to improve the quality of our product and the growth of our audience as measured by ratings and analytics.
- Collaborates with producers, field crews, content coordinators, real-time desk editors, anchors, and other managers to select stories for coverage.
- Oversees and edits writing for all platforms, including stories, newscast teases, web headlines and social posts. Reviews digital and broadcast stories, ensuring accuracy and journalistic balance.
- On occasion, will produce newscasts.
- Hires, schedules and manages team of newscast producers to deliver and continuously improve the quality of our news programs.
- Develops and supervises effective workflow strategies and procedures for multiple programs and platforms.
- Provides regular coaching and feedback to individuals and larger groups.
- Operates with senior editorial authority in the newsroom when supervising managers are not available and know when to call a supervisor for assistance with higher-level decisions.
- Ensures newscasts are consumer-focused and properly organized. Seeks insight from ratings trends and acts upon that data and other research.
- Coordinate national content for broadcast with Scripps leaders elsewhere.
- Monitors all product on all platforms for compliance to federal, state and local laws as well as First and Fourteenth Amendments, and trains staff to do the same.
- Develops a pipeline of talent.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED – – Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field and 5 years of experience in digital media, journalism, broadcast or a closely-related field, 2 or more years of management experience and tv news producing experience; OR any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. The following characteristics and skills are a must:
- Command skills: comfortable leading, can take unpopular stand if necessary, encourages healthy, direct and tough debate but isn’t afraid to end it and move on, is looked to for direction in a crisis, maintains composure and respect even in very high-pressure situations.
- Journalism: Skilled storyteller, journalistic ethics and libel.
- Working knowledge of news operations on multiple platforms.
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills.
- Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
- Very strong collaborator: involves others in problem solving and decision making, asks for and considers an array of perspectives, comfortable relying on the expertise of others and joint decision making.
- Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
- Engage and inspire at all levels: create environment where people feel appreciated, and valued, are committed and want to excel, and want to define opportunities to improve the organization.
- Manage conflict: Constructive in working through differences, handles recurrent conflict, resolves issues between employees, preserves relationships.
- Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes decisions at the right time, brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative.
- Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking the right questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities they need to develop themselves.
- Delegation: is clear about lines of responsibility, allows staff to make mistakes, offers guidance without taking over, enables team to manage daily operation of their teams.
Our resources include the market’s only virtual set and breaking news tracker vehicle. In addition, the power of Scripps’ national network of local news operations and digital businesses provides a reach and an opportunity no other company can match. Scripps leaders are trained and developed to lead for the present and groomed for future opportunities in the company.
The SWFL lifestyle needs no embellishment. You’ll enjoy some of the world’s finest weather (average of 75 degrees), beaches, water sports, golf, restaurants and entertainment.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation’s fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: