Exciting opportunity to be part of a new Scripps Florida team covering the state capitol for multiple stations statewide. The position requires a self-starter who will research, develop, write and deliver impactful stories and content across all platforms. Strong writing, sound news judgment, leadership, organizational and communication skills are a must, as well as a being well-versed in state government.
Responsible for researching, writing and presenting coverage of newsworthy content relying on critical relationships with local and statewide news makers. This position will be relied upon primarily for daily news coverage of statewide issues out of Tallahassee, FL.
- Research, develop and present timely and topical news stories
- Uncover stories through research and various statewide contacts
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of state government, as well as complicated statewide issues
- Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit
- Report, write, capture visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline including digital and OTT
- Use computer databases to research statistics and facts
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards
- Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories
- Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms
- Write and produce quality news stories for multiple media platforms
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned
- Assist news producers in preparing newscast
- Assist online staff in preparing for multimedia stories
- Participate in coverage of large scale statewide events and national breaking news across the state
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelors degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience
- Minimum of two years of experience
Skills & Abilities
- Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile & apply, please visit: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1060841&d=External