Say goodbye to snowstorm live shots and say hello to sunny Tampa Bay! WFTS-TV, the E.W. Scripps owned ABC affiliate in market 11 is looking for an experienced Reporter/MMJ journalist to join our team. Top candidates will have significant experience as a multi-media journalist and a proven track record of generating true enterprise stories that impact our target audience. Creative storytelling is a must — engaging standups/live shots, urgency and impact language and character-driven stories. The ideal candidate will be at home in the digital world — using social media to engage and inform. Must be able to work efficiently under tight deadlines. At least three years of experience as a fully-functional MMJ is required. The multi-media journalist is responsible for researching, writing, capturing visual content and editing stories for multiple platforms.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS –
- Receives assignment or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gathers and verifies facts regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration
- Gives live reports
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multimedia stories.
- Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience
- Minimum of three years of experience
Skills & Abilities
- Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Valid Driver’s License, good driving record and provide certificate of insurability with company required insurance limits.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.