ABC Action News stands with the hardworking people of Tampa Bay, helping them be more self-reliant. WFTS helps its viewers understand the causes, obstacles and solutions to their biggest problems. ABC Action News features include I-Team special reports, Taking Action Against Domestic Violence, Dirty Dining and Florida’s most accurate weather forecasts.
Join us in the Florida sunshine! WFTS-TV, the Scripps-owned Action News ABC affiliate in Tampa (DMA 13) is seeking a news producer. Successful candidate will have experience line-producing in medium to large markets and proven ability to build and showcase enterprise content.
This position is more than just being able to stack a show…as we are seeking a high level thinking producer with a strong editorial mind who can come in daily with lead enterprise ideas of their own. We want a hard news-hungry journalist who can identify the big stories of the day and build an innovative coverage plan in their show.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS –
- Develop and organize newscasts or local programs; responsible for writing, story development and showcasing.
- Works closely with news/local program managers and assignment editors to determine content needs.
- Enhance content of the rundown with graphics, video, research, and station branding.
- Execute time sensitive decisions.
- Responsible for oversight of live broadcast and up to the minute editorial decisions.
- Perform desktop editing.
- Posting content to station’s Web sites.
- Perform other duties as assigned and needed.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field.
- 2 – 3 years as a television writer or producer.
Skills & Abilities
- Must be proficient with newsroom computer systems, MS Office a plus.
- Excellent conversational and creative writing skills.
- Must have strong communication and organization skills.
- Adaptable, self motivated and able to work in a face paced, deadline driven environment.
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgement, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Understand and utilize Web analytics.
- Deadline driven and fast-paced environment.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile & apply, please visit: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1060841&d=External