Are you a media leader passionate about local news in one of the nation’s most competitive markets?
WLTV 23 in Miami is searching for a forward thinking, creative and experienced News Director to lead the news operation in a fast-paced media market. We are looking for a leader with the highest level of news judgment, journalistic integrity and people management skills. The candidate must also be a content expert, who fully understands the role of digital and non-linear distribution.
The right candidate will supervise and coordinate news staff and all news activities in a manner that will produce quality newscasts using all available resources in an efficient and cost effective manner in the Miami/National/LatAm markets. He/she will manage a large and experienced editorial team and works closely with Production, Sales, Engineering, reporters and digital staff. Qualified candidate must also demonstrate knowledge of current local, national and international events
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Set goals, objectives and standards for news staff and the news broadcast
- Map out coverage strategies and plan assignments that are compatible with station’s image and goals
- Manage and train staff on an on-going basis
- Responsible for final news product
- Possess excellent news judgment to lead our daily news coverage for TV, web, mobile, social media platforms and emerging trends in new media
- Coach and motivate a strong team of journalists to raise the bar on their newscasts and stories
- Lead aggressive breaking news and severe weather coverage in a highly competitive market
- Work with producers, anchors and reporters to develop unique specials, “franchises”, and similar news products to keep our news product competitive
- Responsible for the production of any special news programs i.e. debates, election coverage
- Recruiting and hiring news staff
- Work with the Human Resources department on performance reviews and any personnel issues
- Establish and maintain organizational chart for the news department as to job titles, chain of command, and responsibilities
- Responsible for implementing and assuring that the news staff follows all news department and company policies
- Adhere to and manage the operating budget of the news department
- Attend weekly meetings with General Manager to advise and update GM on news operations and issues as well as weekly manager meetings to ensure open communications within station
- Coordinate all production and engineering requirements for newscasts
- Coordinate all technical requirements/problems with the production and engineering department heads
- Arrange for and coordinate news promotions with Promotions Dept.
- Work with Senior Research Analyst in using company news research tools for tracking performance in viewership of all news shows
This position reports to the General Manager and works closely with Production, Engineering, Promotion, and Public Affairs departments. Cooperation with Sales Department is important for sales of news franchises, sponsorships, and specials.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Broadcast journalism degree from accredited four-year college/university or equivalent experience
- Minimum ten years’ experience in all facets of television news production, writing, editing, camera operations and reporting
- Minimum three years’ experience in a medium to large market directing a news department
- Bilingual, Spanish and English, both written and oral
- Possess excellent leadership and team building skills
- Ability to develop road map strategy
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment
- Working knowledge of studio equipment, cameras teleprompter, lighting and audio
- Strong ability to develop and maintain rapport with community
- Must have a valid Florida driver’s license with a good driving record
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Deep knowledge of Miami/Caribbean/LatAm news market
- Ability to work closely with technical team
- Ability to adapt current resources to emerging technology
Please apply on our Univision Careers Webpage: https://univision.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=2&c=univision&id=1776
About Univision Communications Inc.
Univision Communications Inc. is the leading multimedia company serving Hispanic America, with a mission to inform, empower and entertain our community. Univision is the leading destination for U.S. Hispanics by a significant margin, commanding 60% share of the Spanish-language primetime Adult 18-49 audience and reaching an estimated 108 million average monthly unduplicated media consumers. Univision engages consumers via its portfolio of 17 broadcast, cable and digital networks and partnerships, including UDN, Fusion and a minority stake in El Rey Network, as well as 126 local TV and Radio stations, and a growing digital portfolio of mobile and video properties—including Univision.com, Univision Now, Uforia, The Root, as well as iconic digital-first platforms Gizmodo, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Deadspin, Lifehacker and Kotaku, and a stake in The Onion. What makes Univision different is our deep connection to our young, diverse audience, which we continuously strengthen by delivering the most innovative Univision-branded content on all platforms – anytime, anywhere. Univision also offers a suite of branded extensions that complement our existing assets and deliver Univision-branded products tailored to the needs of our community. Univision is headquartered in New York City and has content creation facilities across the country.
UNIVISION (WLTV-23, WAMI-69, WAMR-107.5FM, WRTO-98.3FM, WQBA-1140AM,
WAQI-710 AM) IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER