ABC Action News stands with the hardworking people of Tampa Bay, helping them be more self-reliant. WFTS helps its viewers understand the causes, obstacles and solutions to their biggest problems. ABC Action News features include I-Team special reports, Taking Action Against Domestic Violence, Dirty Dining and Florida’s most accurate weather forecasts.
WFTS-TV, the Scripps owned ABC affiliate in sunny Tampa Bay, FL (Market 13), is seeking an Investigative & Special Projects Manager. In this role, you will be directly responsible for the planning and execution of planned investigative news content across all platforms and shares responsibility for oversight of the entire newsroom with other department leaders. This position requires local content vision and strategy to address consumer needs, content standards, delivery, quality control and continuous improvement.
Additional responsibilities include oversight and scheduling over all other special project stories produced at WFTS-TV. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate tremendous organizational skills, and the ability to build and execute a successful strategy in line with the Action News brand. You will also help coordinate coverage with the Scripps Florida I-Team that is based in Tampa, but also serves West Palm Beach and Ft. Myers.
You will work closely with management, editorial staff and reporters to produce compelling stories. The ideal candidate is at home in the digital world, and has 5+ years as a television news manager with a background in enterprise or investigative journalism.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS –
- Collaborates with other newsroom managers to leverage the Scripps content strategy as the foundation for market-specific local content strategy. Within the strategy, this position has specific attention on leading a team of people to regularly and reliably produce targeted enterprise and investigative stories of impact and importance to our community.
- Partners with colleagues to plan daily and future stories for publication on all platforms.
- Hires, schedules and manages team of enterprise/investigative journalists (multiple platforms and disciplines) to deliver and continuously improve our enterprise and investigative editorial product.
- Creates strategies, tactics and measurements to ensure the quality and quantity of the stories our investigative journalists produce meet our standards and drive audience to all our platforms.
- Works closely with Scripps legal counsel to ensure stories, teases, social posts and all other related elements are vetted for accuracy and legal.
- Develops a pipeline of talent for this and other Scripps local media businesses.
- Monitors all product on all platforms for compliance to federal, state and local laws as well as First and Fourteenth Amendments, and trains staff to do the same.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree in Journalism or related field required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in digital media, journalism, broadcast or a closely-related field required.
- 5 or more years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Linked to local market at some point in background is preferred.
- Experience conceiving and executing multi-platform projects is required.
- Experience leading content creation teams on a minimum of 2 platforms preferred.
- Experience acquiring audience with a demonstrated pattern or track record of success preferred.
- Experience managing brand preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Journalism: Skilled storyteller, journalistic ethics and libel.
- Working knowledge of television ratings.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of all media platforms and broad understanding of broadcast newsroom operations and equipment.
- Calm under pressure: able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
- Very strong collaborator: involves others in problem solving and decision making, asks for and considers an array of perspectives, comfortable relying on the expertise of others and joint decision making.
- Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
- Engage and inspire at all levels: create environment where people feel appreciated, and valued, are committed and want to excel, and want to define opportunities to improve the organization.
- Manage conflict: Constructive in working through differences, handles recurrent conflict, resolves issues between employees, preserves relationships.
- Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes decisions at the right time, brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative.
- Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking the right questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities they need to develop themselves.
- Delegation: is clear about lines of responsibility, allows staff to make mistakes, offers guidance without taking over, enables team to manage daily operation of their teams.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile & apply, please visit: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1060841&d=External