ABC Action News stands with the hardworking people of Tampa Bay, helping them be more self-reliant. WFTS helps its viewers understand the causes, obstacles and solutions to their biggest problems. ABC Action News features include I-Team special reports, Taking Action Against Domestic Violence, Dirty Dining and Florida’s most accurate weather forecasts.
The Director works in all areas of television production and is responsible for technical directing fast paced, complex newscasts and other local programming as well as assisting in completion of pre-production for newscasts.
- Oversees the set up and operations of equipment including camera, audio, video and lighting.
- Ensures smooth operation of technical equipment and services during broadcast.
- Troubleshoots technical problems during production or broadcast.
- Directs assigned newscasts using the IGNITE automation system, which include “switching” newscasts and other productions, completing the pre-production for all newscasts and checking all sources prior to air
- Works closely with news department, directors, producers, and promotions to ensure that the desired on-air look is attained with a minimal amount of errors.
- Oversee production crew during assigned shift
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree in TV production or related preferred.
- Minimum 1 year experience as a director/technical director.
- Working knowledge of television station production equipment.
Skills & Abilities
- Must be familiar with all aspects of television production including audio, switching, digital effects, camera operation and shot composition, lighting, and character generators.
- Good working knowledge of computers.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities under extreme time constraints with poise and skill.
- Solid leadership skills.
- Excellent knowledge of proper composition, grammar and spelling.
- Must have excellent communication skills; ability to give directions in a clear, efficient manner.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Must be familiar with all aspects of television production……..lighting, graphic systems, and news automation.
- Must be a team player.
- Constant viewing of multiple video and computer monitors.
- Flexible work hours required, including holidays, weekends, evenings and possible overtime hours.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile & apply, please visit: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1060841&d=External