|Job Title:||Chief Meteorologist|
|Location:||Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
We’re building something different in South Florida.
It starts with a focus on the communities we serve, to create a better-informed world.
A news organization designed from the ground up, new community partnerships, and new ways of connecting people to information and to each other.
WSFL, The E.W. Scripps station for Miami-Fort Lauderdale, is seeking a Chief Meteorologist to lead our weather team.
You’ll have at least five years of experience (ten preferred) with broadcast weather computer and radar systems, using graphics and forecast tools to produce and deliver weather to our morning news viewers. Experience in hurricane markets is a plus.
The Chief Meteorologist will collaborate on the design of our weathercasts across broadcast and digital, making sure our viewers and readers get the information they need no matter what platform they are on.
Responsible for analyzing meteorological data gathered by satellites and radar to prepare reports and forecasts for the public.
- Work with the News Director to develop a strategic weather plan, covering all of South Florida
- Interpret and analyze weather data to prepare accurate, compelling forecasts for morning news viewers
- Prepare and deliver daily weather content utilizing all available weather data and graphics computers
- Assist management in evaluations of potential new weather data gathering and presentation computers
- Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research
- Prepare and deliver all weather content over multiple platforms
- Report, write, capture visual content, edit, produce and post stories/content for multiple platforms
- Use station website, social media accounts, and apps to engage different audiences with original weather content
- Prepare and deliver urgent weather updates interrupting regular programming as necessary
- Cover severe and breaking weather situations across all platforms. Be ready to report in the field during or after severe weather events.
- Work to produce weather specials and other programming with newsroom managers
- Report live from event sites
- Perform various community service activities for station as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelors degree in Meteorology
- Minimum 5 years experience as a broadcast meteorologist, 10+ years preferred
- AMS and/or NWA Certified meteorologist preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Strong understanding of the science and forecasting of hurricanes and how South Floridians depend on accurate delivery of storm information each season.
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws
- Able to lead the weather team for consecutive days during tropical storms & hurricanes
- Thorough knowledge of weather data interpretation and forecasting
- Ability to deliver weather information in a concise and understandable way
- Ability to create computer generated graphics
- Computer literate, including newsroom computer systems
- Proficient at posting content to various platforms
- Strong organizational, time management and problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- In Studio. Please note that our station is located in Plantation, Florida.
- In field for remote broadcasts, reporting.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
- In the event of a local hurricane, stay at the station with the rest of the staff to help support the news organization.
The E.W. Scripps Company(NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation’s fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile and apply online, please visit www.scripps.com