ABC Action News stands with the hardworking people of Tampa Bay, helping them be more self-reliant. WFTS helps its viewers understand the causes, obstacles and solutions to their biggest problems. ABC Action News features include I-Team special reports, Taking Action Against Domestic Violence, Dirty Dining and Florida’s most accurate weather forecasts.
WFTS, The Scripps ABC Station in Tampa, Florida is searching for an Assistant News Director. The successful candidate must have the proven ability to inspire a newsroom to strive for and achieve excellence. We are looking for a proven newsroom leader who knows how to guide a team to enterprise and tell stories on all platforms. The highly organized candidate should possess excellent editorial judgment, a desire to innovate, and an ability to strategize using research in a very competitive market.
- The Assistant News Director is responsible for the gathering, production and distribution of news content on multiple platforms.
- Involved in hiring and performance management of direct reports.
- Assist News Director in the on-going evaluation of personnel.
- Create tactics and strategies to increase demos performance in key target areas for multiple platforms.
- Implement and have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
- Ability to manage cross platform content creation and distribution.
- Write copy and edit scripts for air and web.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to station websites.
- Schedule anchors and multi-media journalists.
- Lead coverage planning of major events, i. e. elections, special events.
- Proactively communicate news initiatives across departments.
- Evaluate workflow efficiencies.
- Assist News Director in managing the budgetary aspects of newsroom operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Assistant News Director experience preferred.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Effective in a variety of formal presentation settings both inside and outside the organization.
- Proven and effective leadership skills; fosters open dialogue, empowers others, addresses conflict quickly and directly.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile & apply, please visit: