ABC Action News stands with the hardworking people of Tampa Bay, helping them be more self-reliant. WFTS helps its viewers understand the causes, obstacles and solutions to their biggest problems. ABC Action News features include I-Team special reports, Taking Action Against Domestic Violence, Dirty Dining and Florida’s most accurate weather forecasts.
WFTS in Tampa, FL is seeking a full-time Assignment Editor. This position is responsible for sourcing great content and managing logistics for our live crews. They will also identify and coordinate coverage of news breaking on the scanners, wires and social media.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS –
- Plan news coverage as directed by news management
- Dispatch crews to stories and breaking news, using appropriate logistical and journalistic judgement
- Make calls to news sources as needed, gaining appropriate and actionable information
- Assist in finding stories, doing research and tracking story ideas in assignment desk computer with emphasis on key brand points
- Publishing of online content and contributing to our social media platforms
- Perform other duties as needed and as directed by news management
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism
- Online newsgathering and news dissemination via Twitter, facebook and other online formats in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Previous newsroom experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of file sharing services and editing experience a plus but not required.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
To create a profile & apply, please visit: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1060841&d=External